Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The District Sleeps Alone Tonight

Rageoline is right, I feel terribly un-American for missing the inauguration today, and for teaching Mathematics to University students! The second and third most un-American things after futbol, What? Too elitist to get your hands dirty? Now as I am watching Stephen Colbert photoshop different facial hair on Barak Obama, I wonder how I could miss this wonderful moment in history?

How could I miss the twenty-four hours of mind-numbing news coverage, which will not let me forget that I am watching "an" historic moment. What was I thinking not being elbowed by 2 million people, just to see Cheney become the emporer from star wars? How can I not be slightly slighted by Obama chosing to be sworn in using his middle name "Hussein", how dare he be sworn in using the name of a deliscious Afgahni chicken dish?

But I'm missing the important part here. In this time of war, this time of economic struggle, and this time when (!Spoiler Alert!) the Chinese are secretly planning to invade, we have come together as a united nation to peacefully transitioned our most reveared office. We have focused so much of our hope for the future on our first half-black, half-Abraham Lincoln, half-Jesus, president of the united states. Barack seems to know how to dance, so I think we made the right choice.

While we have a mountain of tough times in front of us, this day seems to have reminded a lot of people, that we have come through a lot to get this far, and the Chinese haven't asked for their 11 trillion dollars yet, so anything is possible. But then again, what would I know, I missed it to teach math.

No comments: