Sunday, March 15, 2009

"Reality" TV is pushing it

Now in my confusion from daylight savings time*, I turned on The Simpsons an hour early, to discover that the Fox network was even more brilliant than I originally thought. About a year ago, America rediscovered the Japanese gameshow which was normally relegated to the depths of basic cable. Giving birth to instant classics such as Wipeout and I Want to be a Japanese Gameshow. During the great writer strike of `07-`08 these shows were appealing, because they combined the mindless pleasure of Grey's Anatomy, without the pesky writers who want things like wages, and integrity.

I am surprised that I was unaware, but every Sunday at 6:00 Fox airs a show called Hole in the Wall. The basic idea of the show is that the Fox network pays who knows how much to cut shapes into large foam walls, and then the walls slide along a track, and contestants need to jump through the holes without getting plowed by the wall. Think Super Mario Bros. with break dancers and contortionists instead of plumbers. Of course, a Youtube video is worth a thousand words, but you only really need two: "Oh Crap".



If you haven't noticed yet, "Hole in the Wall" is a double entendre referring to the cut-outs in the foam wall, and the camel toe that results from those skin tight silver jumpsuits. If you think that is bad, I think I went blind in my right eye from seeing the shine off the Bulge in the pants of the Hispanic break dance "crew" the "Flying Tortillas." And in the Australian version of the show, the Lifeguards are all in banana hammocks.

*I'm banking on the fact that no one will realize that if I was actually confused by daylight savings time, I would have tuned into The Simpsons an hour late and discovered that King of the Hill is still making new episodes, which I didn't know.

No comments: